Scriptorium: What's Latin for blog? a re-proposal

Indignus of the blog, Scriptorium, asks a question that keeps many of us up at nights worrying. To wit: what is Latin for "blog?" Here are some of his thoughts:

So, if there’s as yet no one-word Latin term for ‘blog’, why not just use blogis (blogis, blogis), with a hard ‘g’ at the middle (as in ‘giraffe’)? I suppose blog (blog, blogis), blogum (blogum, blogi), and blogus (blogus, blogi) would do just as well, but I’m thinking blogis sounds nicer, whereas blogum and blogus sound like ‘bubblegum’ and ‘bogus’. As for blog (blog, blogis), I think blogis would have a better plural genitive, blogium, while blog (blog, blogis) would have blogum, which brings us back to bubblegum. Hence blogis, which would decline like this:

Nom. blogis bloges
Gen. blogis blogium
Dat. blogi blogibus
Accus. blogem bloges
Voc. blogis bloges
Abl. bloge blogibus

As to the verb ‘to blog’, well, what if we apply the same principles and-instead of using circumlocutions like in aethere scribo (‘I’m writing online’, literally, ‘I’m writing in the ether’)-, we simply say blogere for ‘blogging’? So if we want to say (where or to whom, I have no idea) ‘I blogged about the new bishop’, we could simply write, de episcopo novo blogevit, short and sweet, and if we’ll ask, ‘do you guys blog about the war?’, we just have to say de bello blogetisne? Hence blogere.

It is nice to know that the Latin Forum has agreed to this as have others. I am glad this has been settled. Now I can get a decent night's sleep.

Hat Tip: Ignatius Insight

Comments