To any Soldier, Sailor, Marine, Airman or Coastie anywhere in the world....

Thanks! Thanks again and God bless you--all of you..each and every one!

The summer barbecue on the Fourth may go on, the kids will scamper about, the old folks will talk, and we will have a beer or two, some burgers and some pie. However, it won't be the same. We know you are in hot climes, or on pitching decks, or on secret missions, or on remote locations and will miss us. Well, we do TOO... miss YOU!

It won't be the same until we are all reunited again. The lyrics to an old 60's hit song said that "freedom's just another name for nothing left to lose." That is sophistry, friends... my brothers... my sisters. The strongest volunteer to keep the rest of us free. We can't put it into words, I'm afraid, except to say "Thanks, and that God has blessed us with folks like you... the very best."

You are the best, the most self-sacrificing--those who really do love their neighbor. Service means what it always has...to give and to sacrifice for another. Heck, some of you aren't even U.S. citizens yet, but you will risk your life and limb to gain that most marvelous of all treasures -- the privilege, the honor to be an American citizen. I wish I could be there to witness that Oath! I wish I could be a part of that magic moment... I have seen it before, but it always makes me tear up...

Anyway, thanks. And thanks again. You are giving your all -- your time, treasure, talent and perhaps even your very LIFE, if called-- to preserve OUR Liberty. We will NEVER forget that... We have erected monuments to help us remember... These are monuments to others who also GAVE their all..

And, if I forgot ... Thanks! Every small town and every big city in America will miss you this day, the day of Independence... the Fourth of July... I know you can't be here. You are "standing your post...". Thanks!